Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Sickling Studying Tea Time

Twice in one week? Wow, I'm getting better at this blogging thing... ;) Let's see how long this lasts!

 No matter, as the title of the posts states this girlie is quite sick and I haven't left my couch/bed except to refill my teapot or water bottle. Let me first address the fact that I have the immune system of an 80 year old woman. Not only do I get sick the minute someone who's been sicks looks me in the eye, but I also have all the great aches, pains and joint popping action of the best of the Golden Girls. No matter, you'd think I would get used to it by now, but at least once a year I get one sickness that is just so fun I have to stay in bed all day. This just might be the one this year. Consequently I have been staying put.
My day in a picture

However, I have gotten plenty of tea drinking and reading done whenever I am not sleeping or watching The Lord of the Rings, yes I started with the fellowship and am planning on getting through the other two sometime in the next 24 hours, sickness allowing. Let's just say, I have taken the opportunity to nerd out as much as I can!

What the original high tea might look like.
Now, all day something keeps popping up in my mind, tea time. With a British boyfriend and Southern roots, tea is a constant drink as well as topic of discussion. Since he is coming to visit next month, my mom and I have given him an order for our favorite types of teas to bring to us from one of the best tea places one can think of. While my favorite tea is undoubtedly Southern sweet tea, this gal certainly enjoys a good cup of hot tea almost as much as the English fellow I'm dating. I decided to do a little research and share what I learned about the origin of English tea time with ya'll.

Apparently, we must give credit to the French for the beginning of tea time in Europe. A french court woman is credited with putting milk in her tea first, and tea is said to have been the "popular" thing to do in France about 22 years before it even arrived in England. Americans have a very skewed idea of the different types of teas out there, and we seem to think all of them must be right. What we call high tea seems to be what the English meant to be their dinner. Meats, cheeses, breads and tea is not a dainty or girly meal, but a hearty and filling one meant for men just coming in from the fields after a long day at work. Along with this myth of high tea as being something dainty and girlie, we also have the myth of the reason behind the phrase, "pinky's up." Certainly, it is a classic statement you will hear any good mother teach her daughter when passing down the art of tea time, but it has nothing to do with social standing or class, and everything to do with convenience. The pinky is raised simply for balance and nothing more. It is the right way to hold your tea cup and the English have been doing it since the beginning of their tea time.

Tea at the Ritz in London
Afternoon tea, which is technically the type of tea example we use for tea parties and such, was begun by an English lady -in-waiting during the Victorian Era. She is the one who began to invite people over for some tea, sandwiches and a walk. Today, a classic afternoon tea menu consists of the following,

1. Savories - tea sandwiches and appetizers. 
2. Scones - with clotted cream 
3. Pastries - tea cookies, cakes and desserts,

though many times plain bread and butter or toast is said to be used at tea as well. You can go into practically any large hotel in London today and have a decadent and wonderful afternoon tea.

A Southern tea time 
I would not be staying true to my Southern roots, if I didn't point out that the South has long exercised the art of tea time since British immigrants came to settle and started plantations in the south. If you visit the south today you are able to enjoy a wonderful afternoon tea at one of many tea houses, or you might even luck out and get invited to a personal afternoon tea by a traditional Southern Belle. They are both charming and classic choices and you'll enjoy a wonderful display of goodies at both.

Now, I hope this post inspires all of you to go have some tea, or maybe even throw a tea party. No matter which you choose, remember, pinkys up!


Recipes :


Cucumber Mint Tea Sandwiches
  • 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons cream cheese
  • 6 slices of bread
  • 3-inch length of cucumber
Recipe from epicurious.com 

Dice the mint and mix in a bowl along with the cream cheese and butter. Place the paste on the bread. Slice the cucumber. Place the cucumber between the slices of bread and cut the crusts off before cutting the sandwiches into either finger sized rectangles or triangles. 

Scones : 

I use this recipe from BBC Good Foods. 



Classic scones with jam & clotted cream


No comments:

Post a Comment