Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Memories

Hello lovelies! Thanksgiving is upon us, and I am taking the time tonight to write about what our family Thanksgiving looks like back home.

Thanksgiving is one of the best holidays ever in my opinion. Right behind, Christmas,and 4th of July. I mean who doesn't like waking up on a beautiful November morning to the smells of fresh baked goods and know that you are going to spend a day with family and friends eating wonderful food and having great fellowship. My family consists of very close family friends, as well as my immediate back home (Idaho), and when I was growing up, tradition entailed getting up at the blissful hour of 10 and cooking until 1, at which time we went up to the B's home for Thanksgiving dinner which begins at 3.

After an afternoon/evening of stuffing our faces, and very rowdy games, (farkle, apples to apples, card games, and inch me pinch me are among the favorites), we would straggle home at 1 in the morning, where my mom, sister and I would grab a quick 3 hour nap and then head over to our mall to meet the B and W girls for a morning of Christmas shopping. After which we would ran up to the B's house for brunch, (leftover turkey breakfast wraps, leftover cinnamon rolls, pumpkin bread, monkey bread, and basically anything from the day before that you could possibly still crave) and then up to the mountain to cut down our Christmas tree. We are quite the outdoorsy folks...well at least the men in the families are, we women try our best. Now, this part of the day is the most crucial, for you see, the Christmas tree is the centerpiece of the living rooms in the family for the next month and we have to have the perfect tree. My mother and I are a bit picky where my dad just sees the first one that strikes his fancy and has it cut down and ready to go before my mom and i even get a chance to disagree. It's taken him a while to realize that is not how it is done, but we've trained him well and he now know not to even raise the ax till we have 100% approved it. Well, after another day spent in each other's company we each depart to our own respective homes to set up the trees and decorate them for this most wonderful season of all.

Now some of you may know what it is like to be far from home...hard! For the past year and a half I have been living as a college student in Missouri, while home is in Idaho. And for the past two Thanksgivings,  I have not been able to go home.  :,( yes I am sad about that small misfortune, but don't worry, I have remembered that it IS called THANKSgiving Day. And I have been thankful for even having a place to go to for this wonderful day. Last year i went with friends in Oklahoma, and spent Black Friday raiding Joplin for all it had to offer in sales.

This year however I came down to visit old friends of the family in good 'ole For Worth, Texas. They have been marvelous and  I have been able to just chill and be a bum without feeling guilty because they have known me since I was a tyke. I have however been able to contribute to Thanksgiving dinner by making rolls, and cinnamon rolls. Recipe courtesy of Mrs. B and my momma. They came out alright for me never having had made them, though i will say that the cinnamon rolls came out a lot better. I will post pictures hopefully by saturday of the coming days festivities. But for now I think I may try to sleep a bit before tomorrow's crazy events! Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you all have a blessed day!

Let us come into His presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to Him with songs of praise.
~Psalm 95:2

1 comment:

  1. Mmm Love this! Nostalgia!! Your blog is adorable. New follower! :)

    ReplyDelete